Launches Self-Isolation Hotel
Self–isolation Hotel launched in partnership with Discovery Healthcare Services
Johannesburg, Monday 6 April 2020: The Capital Hotels and Apartments, in partnership with Discovery Health, will launch a COVID-19 isolation and recovery facility at The Capital Empire in Sandton.
The partnership comes after both companies recognised the need to create safe spaces for people exposed to or infected with COVID-19 to isolate and recover from the virus, and to support the country’s efforts to flatten the curve during the national lockdown period.
Marc Wachsberger, managing director of The Capital Hotels and Apartments says:
“Like many in South Africa, we want to contribute positively to national efforts to quell the spread of the COVID-19 virus. In response to calls from the Minister of Health to assist in the nationwide drive to help South Africans affected by COVID-19, we have implemented the necessary steps to dedicate The Capital Empire Hotel in Sandton as an isolation recovery facility for people who have tested positive for COVID-19.”
“We’ve prepared and have been running The Capital Empire Hotel in Sandton as a self- isolation facility with great success. Most of our hotels across the country have been implementing these steps to give the option of staying in a well-sanitised space that ensures other household members are safe from contracting COVID-19,” adds Wachsberger.
“We support this initiative by The Capital Hotels and Apartments. Evidence emerging from China demonstrated that COVID-19 spread occurred in household clusters, and consequently an isolation facility has a strong clinical basis to prevent spread from a known infected individual throughout a household. With an urgent need for all South Africans to flatten the curve of COVID-19 infections, it aligns with our purpose to make people healthier and to enhance and protect their lives. It’s crucial to provide the right environment for recovery, which includes supportive medical care and extensive social distancing and sanitisation measures to limit contact and spread.”
“By supporting this initiative, we hope to relieve some of the pressure on our healthcare system and, equally important, on family members who are faced with the responsibility of staying safe while caring for someone. The creation of safe spaces for isolation, with 24/7 nursing oversight from Discovery healthcare services, is a positive step in providing South Africans with access to alternative care, and to allow safe and full recovery” adds Noach.
More information about how it will work:
- Starting from R1 350 per night for a standard hotel room, the rates include three meals per day. Guests are encouraged to stay for between 12 and 14 days to allow for full recovery before they return home.
- From R2 000 per night, guest can stay in a modern spacious apartment with a fully fitted kitchen (including laundry facilities).
- All rooms include the hotels standards of complimentary high speed Wi-Fi and Smart TV’s.
- Discovery Health Medical Scheme (DHMS) will contribute R400 towards the daily rate during the period of isolation (this is specifically for DHMS members who have COVID-19, and who do not require in-hospital care).
- To oversee recovery, Discovery Healthcare Services will make 24-hour nursing supervision available as part of the service. In addition, Discovery Healthcare Services has made arrangements for referral and if needed, ambulance transportation of anyone who needs escalated medical care.
- All food is inspected to ensure suppliers are following the WHO food preparation protocols and is prepared under strict hygiene standards. Food will be delivered at the room door, with strict isolation protocols.
- All Capital staff have been trained on global best practice protocols for sanitisation and care of both themselves, their family and guests, following the guidelines of the WHO, European and US Centres for Disease Control and the South African Institute for Communicable Diseases. Additionally, all staff will use the necessary personal protective equipment to ensure their safety.
- Daily room servicing to ensure a hygienic environment includes the disinfection of high touch points, including TV remotes, door handles and toilet flush handles as well as front desk pens and room keys. Commercial grade cleaning and disinfectant materials are used in all aspects of the hotel.
- All staff will be screened for any symptoms and signs of COVID-19, including regular body temperature monitoring. Any staff member involved in the food supply chain has their temperature check performed hourly. “The Capital Hotels is a proudly home-grown South African hotel group, and we are committed to doing everything in our power to help the country in this time of need. We are also happy to be partnering with another industry disruptor like ourselves to ensure we can keep our hotels running and thereby securing hundreds of jobs for our hotel staff,” Wachsberger concludes.
This article is saved for historical purposes. Any offer or rates mentioned can no longer be booked. However, we’ll gladly assist you with another booking or a Great Deal available at this time.
Contact our team for more info:
email@example.com | +27 (0)11 290 9700